64bit cygwin 2.4.0-0.4 hangs when pinging unresponsive host

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 21:03:00 GMT 2015

On 25/11/2015 12:03, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 25/11/2015 08:06, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 24.11.2015 um 23:29 schrieb Marco Atzeri:

>>> I assume it is an interaction with mintty.
>> Many problems of that kind attributed to mintty are actually problems
>> with cygwin or especially pty.
>> Please test also with another terminal (xterm, rxvt, ...).
>> Also some more details could be helpful as I cannot reproduce the issue
>> (output of `type ping`, actual host pinged).
>> ------
>> Thomas
>
> you are right is not a mintty only issue.
> Same happens in xterm
>

> $ which ping
> /usr/bin/ping
>
> $ ping 2.2.2.2
> PING 2.2.2.2 (2.2.2.2): 56 data bytes
>
> It sticks here forever, CTRL+C ineffective.
> Process Explorer or Task Manager are needed to kill the process.
> Also kill -9 PID is ineffective
>
> On the old cygwin.bat (aka windows cmd)
> CTRL+C is effective
>
>   64 $ ping 2.2.2.2
> PING 2.2.2.2 (2.2.2.2): 56 data bytes
>
> ----2.2.2.2 PING Statistics----
> 2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

the problem seems restricted to the 64bit test version of cygwin.

$ uname -svm
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 2015-11-21 16:59 x86_64

The issue is not present on 2.3.1

$ ping 2.2.2.2
PING 2.2.2.2 (2.2.2.2): 56 data bytes

----2.2.2.2 PING Statistics----
2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

$ uname -srm
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 2.3.1(0.291/5/3) x86_64

And the 32 bit version is not impacted

$ ping 2.2.2.2
PING 2.2.2.2 (2.2.2.2): 56 data bytes

----2.2.2.2 PING Statistics----
2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

$ uname -srm
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW 2.4.0(0.292/5/3) i686