ssh with password allows commands that fail with ssh via key

Blando, Frank (Helion Managed Engineering) frank.blando@hpe.com
Thu Oct 1 22:19:00 GMT 2015

I suspect this is already answered somewhere, but my googling has not brought up an answer.

Environment:
CygWin with OpenSSH 6.6.1p1-3 on Windows 2012 R2. Using the domain administrator account as the target on Windows.

Issue:
When I ssh into Windows from Linux, if I use a password, "powershell -command get-cluster" works. If I use key (store in .ssh/authorized_keys), "powershell -command get-cluster" returns access denied. Simpler commands do not appear to make a distinction and work equally well with password or keys.