[Attn: base-files maintainer] Changing /etc/profile to add more shell-dependent settings

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Wed Oct 14 16:20:00 GMT 2015

Greetings, Adam Dinwoodie!

> The /etc/defaults/etc/profile file in base-files has a section at the
> end to import scripts in /etc/profile.d, but this currently only works
> with zsh.

It also works for generic ".sh" files (see directly above that monstrous `if`
switch.

> Can this section be expanded to make calls as appropriate for other
> shells?  I'm particularly interested in Fish and Bash, although I don't
> see any reason to limit the change to those shells.

For what it's worth, I don't know any adopted 'standard' extension for bash,
other than '.sh', which is already covered.

> I care about this because I'm currently investigating packaging fzf[0].
> The obvious way to include the shell-specific keyboard shortcuts for fzf
> is to add them to /etc/profile.d, but currently that only works for
> Z-Shell.

As I mentioned earlier, it works for generic .sh files. Also, please pay
attention to the note placed in the zsh section that it is probably a BAD IDEA
to do that in this particular manner.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin