Repositories for Cygwin packages.

David A Cobb superbiskit@cox.net
Thu Sep 10 23:20:00 GMT 2015

On 2015-09-10 17:03, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 10/09/2015 22:40, David A Cobb wrote:
>> I see the Git Repo for "the core Cygwin libraries and utilities (Cygwin
>> and Newlib)" @ sourceware.com.
>>
>> I am looking at possible work within *COREUTILS*.  Obviously, there are
>> significant deltas /versus/ GNU Upstream.
>> Can you point me to the active repo for coreutils?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/coreutils.html

Yeah, Marco.  Thanks.
Actually, the repo is <git://git.savannah.gnu.org/coreutils.git>.

Are you saying that is your direct upstream and your sources only differ
by the patchfiles installed by Cygwin-Setup??

>> Just to save net traffic, I'll dare post a second related question in
>> the same message:
>> Is *NEWLIB* intended to be a "drop-in" replacement for *GNULIB*?
>

> No.
> https://sourceware.org/newlib/
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/MODULES.html
>
> Roughly:
> Newlib target is to provide a system libc.
>
> Gnulib target is to provide a modular library implementation for
> software that aim on multi-platform builds.
> Regards
> Marco

I  should have phrased the question differently, I guess.  My question
is related to dependencies of the 'coreutils.' Cloning GNU Coreutils
comes in with sub-module 'gnulib'.

Suppose I wanted to propose a patch to Coreutils, but being stuck on a
Windows platform I use Coreutils only through Cygwin64 and MSYS2.
And, suppose for the moment, some of the changes are only relevant to
the Windows platform.  I don't (yet) know how much GNU (i.e. RMS) really
gives a flying bird about making Windows play nice.  So, to whom do I
propose the changes?  I really, really don't want to create a private
fork.  If I didn't think my ideas are worthy of pushing up the food
chain, I should just go back to bed.

BTW, and totally irrelevant to the discussion, I'm not really a newbie
here.  But for several years I had a working Ubuntu installation, so I
didn't keep up with the list.  And now, I'm back on a borrowed Windows
machine.  I just want to do some useful stuff on it.