Repositories for Cygwin packages.

David A Cobb superbiskit@cox.net
Thu Sep 10 23:54:00 GMT 2015

On 2015-09-10 19:31, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 09/10/2015 05:20 PM, David A Cobb wrote:
>
> Not a problem. My first patch to upstream coreutils was done exactly
> in that manner.
>> And, suppose for the moment, some of the changes are only relevant to
>> the Windows platform.  I don't (yet) know how much GNU (i.e. RMS) really
>> gives a flying bird about making Windows play nice.  So, to whom do I
>> propose the changes?  I really, really don't want to create a private
>> fork.  If I didn't think my ideas are worthy of pushing up the food
>> chain, I should just go back to bed.
> Depends on how invasive your changes are. If it is truly
> windows-specific and hard to maintain, then upstream probably won't pay
> attention (which is why I maintain some cygwin-specific patches, such as
> .exe magic manipulations, downstream-only). But if it fixes a bad
> upstream assumption (such as "function foo would never do that", except
> that on cygwin function foo DOES do that, and it is feasible that some
> other system would do likewise), then upstream is the right place. (For
> example, my very first patch to upstream coreutils is dated 2005-01-11,
> where I fixed Makefile.am to deal with $(EXEEXT) - and more than just
> cygwin creates binaries with .exe suffix so it is relevant upstream).
>
> If you're unsure whether a proposed patch is worth posting upstream or
> downstream, pick one place, and I'm more than willing to help you
> redirect it to the other place if it wasn't appropriate.  (Picking
> upstream first is generally a nicer policy).
OK, I think I've got it.  At my advanced age, it's hard to be sure ;-D.

Thank you Eric, Marco, and Corrina.  Especially for your patience when
more research would probably have answered a lot of things.

I'm made especially sensitive because, once on a very long ago, I asked
a question about 'newlib' and Windows in the same sentence, and had my
posterior handed back to me on a platter with the advice that anything
with my name on it would be instantly disapproved by the newlib owner.