Error accessing mapped drive >2TB?
Brian Inglis
Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca
Mon Sep 21 05:23:00 GMT 2015
Warren Young <wyml <at> etr-usa.com> writes:
> On Sep 16, 2015, at 7:39 AM, Nem W Schlecht <nemws1 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would think if it was an issue with Mac's SMB implementation, then
> > *Windows* would also have some sort of issues with it. But it shows
> > up fine on Windows, I would assume it should show fine in Cygwin as
> > well.
> More than that: Cygwin doesn’t contain an SMB client. (I mean, not at the
cygwin1.dll level.) It is just
> using what Windows gives it.
> That’s why I’m grasping at straws like the path error in the strace
output, since the only thing that
> makes sense to me is a problem in the way Cygwin is interpreting what it
gets from Windows, rather than the
> SMB protocol peers doing the wrong thing.
> I suppose it could be that Windows Explorer and cygwin1.dll are making
different NT kernel syscalls, and
> that explains the problem. Lacking a “real” strace on Windows, I’m not
sure how to test that. Maybe
> Process Monitor could do this?
> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645
I remembered using the live site for SysInternals, giving the interesting
result:
$ cygstart '\\live.sysinternals.com\tools\' # works - opens site in
Windows Explorer
$ cygpath '\\live.sysinternals.com\tools\'
//live.sysinternals.com/tools/
$ ls //live.sysinternals.com/tools/ # works - list contents
About_This_Site.txt ctrl2cap.amd.sys* Eula.txt
...
$ ls $(cygpath '\\live.sysinternals.com\tools\') # works - list contents
About_This_Site.txt ctrl2cap.amd.sys* Eula.txt
...
$ ls `cygpath '\\live.sysinternals.com\tools\'` # fails - should be same as
above 2
ls: cannot access /cygdrive/c/live.sysinternals.com/tools/: No such file or
directory
Windows Explorer drive mappings are not visible from cmd or mintty/bash
windows, but "net use x: \\live.sysinternals.com\tools" mappings are visible
from separate cmd and mintty/bash windows as drive X: or /cygdrive/x, but
x:\ is not accessible from Windows Explorer.
It does not seem to matter whether the drive mapping is made persistent from
either the console or Windows Explorer - it is only visible from whichever
type of window interface was used to make the mapping.
I have not tested making the mapping persistent, logging out and back in, to
see if it makes any difference to visibility: it shouldn't, but with
Windows...who knows?
Testing was on a standalone non-domain W7 desktop with:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 ... 2.2.1(0.289/5/3) 2015-08-20 11:42 x86_64 Cygwin
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list