Tesseract 3.04 - Cygwin64 - Windows 8.1 - Can't open makebox

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:14:00 GMT 2015

On 21/09/2015 11:03, Schmitz, Marco wrote:
> I am using Windows 8.1 and Cygwin64 in order to run Tesseract 3.04.
>
> Running the following command:
>
>      tesseract arbeitsunfaehigkeit.hausarzt.exp0.jpg arbeitsunfaehigkeit batch.nochop makebox
>
> results in the following output:
>
>      Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine v3.04.00 with Leptonica
>      read_params_file: Can't open makebox
>
> And this is after I fixed the output:
>
>      Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine v3.04.00 with Leptonica
>      Error opening data file C:\DEV\tesseract\Tesseract-OCR\tessdata/eng.traineddata

Are you defining TESSDATA_PREFIX ? Why ?

>      Please make sure the TESSDATA_PREFIX environment variable is set to the parent directory of your "tessdata" directory.
>      Failed loading language 'eng'
>      Tesseract couldn't load any languages!
>      Could not initialize tesseract.
>
> Using the following line in .bash_profile:
>
>      export TESSDATA_PREFIX="/cygdrive/c/DEV/cygwin64/usr/share/tessdata/"

The default should be

TESSDATA_PREFIX="/usr/share/tessdata/"

Without defining TESSDATA_PREFIX, I have

$ tesseract.exe --list-langs
List of available languages (4):
deu
deu_frak
eng
osd

and the language files are in :

$ ls /usr/share/tessdata/
configs/              eng.cube.fold    eng.cube.size
osd.traineddata
deu.traineddata       eng.cube.lm      eng.cube.word-freq     pdf.ttf
deu_frak.traineddata  eng.cube.nn      eng.tesseract_cube.nn  tessconfigs/
eng.cube.bigrams      eng.cube.params  eng.traineddata        training/

Regards
Marco