converting from -mno-cygwin

Lee ler762@gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:17:00 GMT 2016

On 4/27/16, JonY  wrote:
> On 4/27/2016 08:32, Lee wrote:
  [.. snip ..]
>> and maybe it's a problem.  I haven't tracked it down yet, but
>> GNUmakefile.in has
>> # PThreads library, if needed.
>> PTHREAD_LIB  = @PTHREAD_ONLY@@PTHREAD_LIB@
>>
>> which, after running autoheader & autoconf, creates a GNUmakefile with
>> # PThreads library, if needed.
>> PTHREAD_LIB  = -lpthreadGC2
>>
>> which doesn't work :(
>>

> Fix your configure.ac assumptions.

Done!  works now :)

>>> No, don't do this, it'd turn into a giant hairball fast.
>>
>> Not really.. it's just a few places that I've had to change the source
>> code to deal with the differences between cygwin 1.5 + gcc v3 &
>> whatever the current cygwin is + i686-w64-mingw32-gcc
>>

> You'd get into a bigger hairball when you involve 64bit Cygwin where
> long is 64bit unlike the rest of the Windows world.

I took a look at https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.programming.64bitporting
I'm not sure I really want to go there.  But in any case, I think
you're right to not try to maintain compatibility with gcc -mno-cygwin

>>> What are you even trying to do? You shouldn't mix different runtimes.
>>
>> I'm not mixing runtimes.  I'm trying to keep it so that the program
>> continues to build under the old cygwin 1.5/gcc -mno-cygwin as well as
>> building under the current cygwin/i686-w64-mingw32-gcc cross-compiler.
>> Since I have to do different things depending on if I'm using the
>> cross compiler or the old gcc -mno-cygwin I'm hoping there's a flag or
>> something I can use so the exact same source code works with either
>> build system.
>>

> Using Cygwin headers in purely win32 program is wrong.  I understand you
> are simply trying to get Cygwin version strings, it'll just end up as a
> compile error if the toolchain isn't Cygwin hosted. You can try using
> autoconf to run "uname -a" instead and grab that instead.

It looks like cygwin.h was included because it has the define for _RICHEDIT_VER
If I remove the include & build using gcc v3:
[1.5] Lee@twinky /cygdrive/c/cygwin/cvs/privoxy/current
$ make
gcc -c -pipe -O2 -DWINVER=0x501   -mwindows -mno-cygwin -Wall -Ipcre
w32log.c -o w32log.o
w32log.c:61: error: `CYGWIN_H_VERSION' undeclared here (not in a function)
w32log.c: In function `InitRichEdit':
w32log.c:774: error: `_RICHEDIT_VER' undeclared (first use in this function)
w32log.c:774: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
w32log.c:774: error: for each function it appears in.)
make: *** [w32log.o] Error 1

The include files for i686-w64-mingw32-gcc have been [changed?
fixed?] so that including cygwin.h now causes a warning:
/source/privoxy/current
$ make
i686-w64-mingw32-gcc -c -pipe -O2 -DWINVER=0x501   -mwindows -mwin32
-Wall -Ipcre  w32log.c -o w32log.o
In file included from w32log.c:60:0:
cygwin.h:43:0: warning: "_RICHEDIT_VER" redefined
 #define _RICHEDIT_VER 0x0300
 ^
In file included from w32log.c:45:0:
/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/include/richedit.h:23:0: note:
this is the location of the previous definition
 #define _RICHEDIT_VER 0x0800
 ^

Thanks for your help!!

Lee