"man" hangs attempting to access UNC paths

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Fri Apr 29 19:49:00 GMT 2016

On 04/29/2016 10:32 AM, joeking wrote:
> So I figured out what causes this - but I don't know why.
>
> "/" ended up in my path - from some imported configuration in .bashrc.
> When I don't have "/" in the path, then man works.
>
> So, given that, why would that cause man to reference UNC paths?

Probably because man has a bug that causes it to use
${name_from_path}/suffix, which works fine if ${name_from_path} is
anything other than /, but which creates a UNC path if it is exactly /.

And the bug is not noticed on other platforms where // and / are identical.