[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw64-*-gcc-5.4.0-1 (x86/x86_64) (Testing)

Tony Kelman tony@kelman.net
Sun Aug 7 15:31:00 GMT 2016

> Does Julia depend on C++11 features? I'm not familiar with it. How big
> is it compared to say, QT?

Yes, it does depend on C++11, but mostly by way of linking to LLVM.
Julia by itself is not huge, but it depends on a bunch of external
library dependencies that are. The most time-consuming of those are
LLVM and OpenBLAS, which I believe we have mingw-w64 cross-compiled
versions of available in Cygwin, so it might be possible to link
against those to save some time, I haven't tried. I suspect those
packaged libraries haven't been rebuilt against this test gcc build
yet though. And in the default `git clone ...; make` build of Julia
we apply some patches to fix various bugs depending on what versions
of the dependency libraries we're using, so a USE_SYSTEM_LLVM build
might have test failures that aren't due to the GCC version being used.

On my 4 x (2 HT) core i7-6700 HQ laptop with an SSD, the from-scratch
source build of Julia without linking to any pre-existing dependency
libraries took about an hour. Not sure how that compares to QT.

-Tony