PATHEXT is fundamental to Windows and Should be recognised by CYGWIN

cyg Simple cygsimple@gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:06:00 GMT 2016

On 8/9/2016 9:11 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2016, at 7:01 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>
>>> PATHEXT looks for *executable* files, not file association.  I warned
>>> previously in this thread about getting the two confused.
>>
>> Your statement is confusing. If not contradictory.
>> PATHEXT tells the shell to consider these file extensions executable.
>> If you create a file association for ".sh" and add ".SH" to pathext, CMD will
>> happily execute it, and in the current console.
>
> I think he means that if PATHEXT support appears in Cygwin (whether in the DLL or just in Bash) that you would have to chmod +x any files you want it to apply to.  The existence of the file’s extension in PATHEXT alone would not be enough.

No, adding a .sh to PATHEXT will not execute the file.
No, doing a chmod +x will not cause CMD to execute the file either even
if the extension is in the PATHEXT list.

You must associate the .sh to the executable to consume it and once you
do that association PATHEXT is meaningless.

--
cyg Simple