passwd unrecoverable error 1265

Vlado v.99cygwin@gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:00:00 GMT 2016

On 31.8.2016 12:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I found a workaround:  The Windows call for changing the password used
> by the passwd tool is
>
>   ret = NetUserChangePassowrd (server, username, old_pwd, new_pwd);
>
> The server is usually the logon server, prepended by double backslash,
> as in the variable $LOGONSERVER, and this is how passwd uses the function.
> However, while this still works fine on W7 and 2008R2, it fails on the
> newer systems with error 1265, ERROR_DOWNGRADE_DETECTED.
>
> The workaround puzzles me slightly, but it seems to do the trick:
> If I use the domain name (as in $USERDOMAIN) instead of the server
> name when calling this function, it works as expected, also on W7
> or 2008R2.

Thank You for very useful information.

I tried Your workaround and it works perfectly for me:
	test@server ~
	$ LOGONSERVER=server passwd
	Old password:
	New password:
	Re-enter new password:
	Password changed.

	test@server ~
	$

(Old value in $LOGONSERVER was \\server)

My server is standalone Windows Server 2008R2 Enterprise, so Microsoft's
error message is not quite correct.

(On Yours 2008R2 problem didn't occur - interesting.)

Thank You.

Vlado