Fullscreen application with Cygwin/X in multiwindow mode

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Dec 1 12:23:00 GMT 2016

On 29/11/2016 11:37, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> But ideally this would be fixed by adding support for
>>> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN to the WM.
>
>> Any idea how much effort would be required to implement the fullscreen
>> support? Any major hurdles to overcome? It may be something I could
>> work on in my spare time.

Patches are always welcome.

I think this should be pretty straightforward to add, although it might
be a bit tedious.

[1],[2] should help you get started :)

Looking at this in a little more detail, I wasn't quite accurate in my
statement above: There is very limited support for this state, in that
windows which are created with it are probably shown correctly.

I think what's needed is extend the handling of _NET_WM_STATE messages
so it can handle a window being changed to _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN. (At
the moment _NET_WM_STATE is, only handled when it can be mapped down to
an equivalent WM_CHANGE_STATE message, see [3])

[1] https://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/cygwin-x-cg.html
[2] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html
[3]
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jturney/xserver/commit/?h=cygwin-release-1.19&id=55c2ca8cd9287850077102d4ba662cfd2c571ca9

> Depends, what you mean by "fullscreen". All too often people say "fullscreen"
> when in fact they mean "borderless windowed".
> The difference is crucial.
> For the latter, you don't do anything short of setting some additional flags
> on your window and size it to display resolution.

In this context, _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN means 'borderless maximized'