startxwinrc

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Feb 21 20:35:00 GMT 2016

I'm puzzled by the following lines in /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc:

# The user may have their own clients they want to run.  If they don't,
# fall back to system defaults.
if [ -f $HOME/.startxwinrc ] ; then
     exec $CK_XINIT_SESSION $SSH_AGENT $HOME/.startxwinrc || \
     exec $CK_XINIT_SESSION $SSH_AGENT $HOME/.startxwinrc

If I'm reading /usr/bin/startxwin correctly, /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc
only gets run if $HOME/.startxwinrc doesn't exist or exists but is not
executable.  So the $SSH_AGENT command above only gets called in the
latter case; but then it will fail because $HOME/.startxwinrc is not
executable.

Am I missing something?

Ken