Windows XP Support

Mike Brown brown@mrvideo.vidiot.com
Mon Jan 11 03:54:00 GMT 2016

I've been using cygwin on XP (SP2 and then SP3), both 32 bit and 64 bit,
for ages now.  I actually tried upgrading once, but had to go back to what I
am currently running because cron was broken.  It refused to start, no matter
what.  After returning to the previous install, it started right up.

The main pieces that I use, zsh, cron and the basic commands (like ls and ps),
are all that I need.  I've written several z-shell scripts to do the things
that I need.

So, even if XP support is pulled, I'm good.

Cygwin has been really great for making the two XP boxes worth running.
I've been a Unix/Linux user/admin for decades.

MB

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 05:32:21PM -0500, Terry McCarty - WA5NTI wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I am also new to the LINUX world and would like very much to see XP "live
> forever".
>
> I still use XP as my main "go to" machine.
> But ... Microsoft's continuing "march to bigger and better" and my
> reluctance to be forced to repeatedly buy new bigger and faster machinery
> to accommodate the new windows systems has nudged me out of my complacency
> - I am now using Cygwin and learning LINUX.
>
> If Cygwin continues to support XP, it will continue to serve as "that
> bright city on a hill", giving us old Microsoft Ludditess a comfortable
> "stepping stone" that encourages us to switch to LINUX.
>
> --
>     Terry McCarty
>    3t3@comcast.net
>        wa5nti
>

> Herbert Stocker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i have read that beginning this month Cygwin wants to drop support
>> for Windows XP.  Though the home page and FAQ entry 12 do not talk
>> about this. Are they out of date or is WinXP still supported?
>>
>> Although there are better OSes now, WinXP is still a good OS.
>> Especially for virtual machines, because of its low memory foot print.
>> Only just 220 MiB for the OS!
>>
>> So while i feel it's not fair to beg you to go through all the
>> complexities of still supporting it, i want to ask:
>>
>> - If there is no support anymore for Win XP (SP3), is there a reposi-
>>   tory around, where one can download the last version of Cygwin that
>>   supported WinXP (SP3)?
>>
>> - If not, how can i do it by myself? Will i have to create a mirror
>>   and not update it? Or would i have to download the current version
>>   somehow?
>>

>> Thank you very much for the great work.
>> Cygwin makes Windows complete if you ask me.
>>
>> Herbert
>>
>> --
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>>

> --

e-mail: vidiot@vidiot.com | vidiot@vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
        6082066843@email.uscc.net (140 char limit)       \ / Ribbon Campaign
Visit - URL: http://vidiot.com/                           X  Against
             http://vidiot.net/                          / \ HTML Email
"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How long have I been gone?" Alexis after seeing Castle and Beckett w/ baby
 - Castle - 11/25/13