Aw: Re: chmod failed: Invalid argument

Rainer Blome rainer.blome@gmx.de
Thu Jan 28 17:23:00 GMT 2016

> Corinna Vinschen wrote 2016-01-28 15-44:
> On Jan 28 15:24, Rainer Blome wrote:
>
> The "In-Reply-To" is still missing in your mails, so you're invariably
> breaking threading.  T'would be nice if you could make your mailer
> behave :)

This is the first time that I have a mail to reply to,
hope the threading is preserved now.

> > > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > > Can you please send the icacls output of the current directory and
> > > the icacls out for the file x?
> >
> > Here are the icacls outputs for the test case:
> >
> > $ umask
> > 0027
> >
> > $ mkdir bar
> > $ cd bar
> > $ icacls .
> > . hostname\username:(I)(OI)(CI)(F)
>
> This... doesn't look like an ACL created by Cygwin.

----
$ type mkdir
mkdir is hashed (/usr/bin/mkdir)
$ md5sum /usr/bin/mkdir
25471314acd68f352523ba17eafbb7f9 */usr/bin/mkdir
----

> If you're running Cygwin 2.4.1,

CYGWIN_NT-6.1 hostname 2.4.1(0.293/5/3) 2016-01-24 11:26 x86_64 Cygwin

> the acl should always at least contain ACEs for the
> default POSIX perms, plus a NULL ACE:
>
> foo NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S)
>     VINSCHEN\corinna:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
>     VINSCHEN\vinschen:(R)
>     Everyone:(Rc,S,RA)

In Windows Explorer -> `bar` -> RMB -> Properties -> Security ->
Advanced, I am told that it inherits ist permissions from `base`,
the parent of `bar`. (To be precise, it inherits from its
grandparent, but I assume that the length of the ancestor chain is
not important here.)

> For directories also inheritable default perms for "CREATOR OWNER" and
> "CREATOR GROUP".  Is that really a Cygwin mkdir?!?

As far as can see, yes, see above.

> And then, what about
> this unknwon group with gid 213?  What does
>
>   $ getent group 213
>
> print?  Something's weird here...

getent group 213; echo $?
2