Anecdotal: Rebase and Visual Studio 2015 and /etc

Warren Young wyml@etr-usa.com
Fri Jul 1 22:40:00 GMT 2016

On Jul 1, 2016, at 1:35 PM, Warren Young wrote:

> To clone an existing install using setup.exe:
>
>  $ /path/to/setup-x86_64 -R 'c:\cygwin-clone' -q -L \
>    -P $(tail -n+2 installed.db | cut -f1 -d' ' | tr '\n' ,)

[snip]

> ...you can prune the long list produced by that $() construct way down

I’ve written a script to do that automatically.  (Attached.)

It takes the raw list parsed from installed.db using the scheme above and a copy of the setup.ini file downloaded by setup.exe and removes all “non-root” packages, being those that will be installed indirectly by some other package on that list.

It cut my largest local Cygwin installation’s package list down to about a fifth the size spewed out by the command above.

Enjoy!