Midnight Commander is very slow when starting and changing directories

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 14:50:00 GMT 2016

On 08/07/2016 16:13, Krzysztof Bociurko wrote:
> I'm using midnight commander with Cygwin 64 bit on Windows 10 64 bit.
>
> After moving to a new machine and a clean reinstall of windows and
> cygwin, my midnight commander started to get very laggy - starting mc,
> any change of directory or exiting from finding files (to refresh list
> of files in the two panes) takes long seconds. Restarting doesn't
> help.
>
> I have no idea what could be the reason for these hiccups. MC normally
> works fine: arrow presses work well, viewing and editing is instant,
> but this one thing takes up to 10 seconds - changing directories.
> Searching in files has a similar lag, but only once (ie not in every
> `chdir` it could have done). In non-mc cygwin usage this issue doesn't
> happen.
>
> The task manager doesn't show any abnormally high CPU or memory usage
> on any process. I have `cygserver` running, using `bash` as my shell
> and have no fancy `PS1` settings, my `$CYGWIN` is only
> `winsymlinks:native`.
>
> My environment:
> * Windows 10 pro 64 bit, up to date
> * Not connected to a domain, no network drives
> * No anti virus software apart from the one built in Windows
> * Two hard drives (system on SSD (C:), D: is a SSHD), quite a few
> directory junctions from C: to C:, no loops
> * I'm usually using fatty as the terminal, but mintty has the same issues
> * GNU Midnight Commander 4.8.17
> * cygserver is installed

two ideas to try:

- update cygwin package as 2.5.2 versus the 2.5.1 that you are running
   has few bug fixes that could change the responsiveness.
   (unlike to work but worth to try)

- disable the windows anti virus.
   Experience in the past with Windows Defender were disappointing
   https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

Regards
Marco