Mintty 2.4.0 and Deja Vu Sans Mono 2.35: issue with bold

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Jul 12 19:26:00 GMT 2016

Am 12.07.2016 um 17:27 schrieb Warren Young:
Windows reports the font metrics of the bold font sometimes slightly
differently than the normal font.
Due to rounding, it depends on the font size, e.g. with DejaVu it
happens with 12pt, 14pt, and larger, but not with 13pt, 11pt, and
smaller. I do not know why that happens.
If mintty detects the bold fontsize to be different from the normal
fontsize, it does not use the bold font. I could tweak that to allow
some small deviation, perhaps.
> It isn’t specific to Deja Vu, either, as the same thing happens with Lucida Console and Consolas.
For Lucida Console, it's clear as there is no bold weight. Mintty could
use the Windows-generated fake bold in that case but it rather generates
its own.
> That said, if you create a Wordpad document with the same faces, sizes, and weights, bold is more clearly distinguished at high point sizes.
Mintty generates "faux-bold" by overstriking with a pixel offset of 1.
Maybe it should scale the thickness with the font size (like it does now
for manual underline and VT100 line drawing graphics), at increased risk
of clipping, however.

Suggestions welcome.
Thomas