Autoconf fooled by AC_FC_LINE_LENGTH

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 14:54:00 GMT 2016

On 29/07/2016 21:32, Peter Rosin wrote:
> On 2016-07-29 14:23, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> building latest Arpack
>> https://github.com/opencollab/arpack-ng/releases
>> https://github.com/opencollab/arpack-ng/issues/41
>>
>> I hit a strange case where the presence of a single line
>>
>> AC_FC_LINE_LENGTH(unlimited)
>>
>> before the usual
>> LT_PREREQ([2.4.2])
>> LT_INIT([win32-dll])
>>
>> is causing the libtool to be incorrectly set, versus
>> the right case

>> It seems libtool is incorrectly set for MSVC platform
>>
>> I tried to move the libtool inizialization before the
>> AC_FC_LINE_LENGTH but autoconf is objecting on wrong preference.
>>
>> It seems a bug impacting only cygwin.
>
> Reading the source comment for AC_FC_LINE_LENGTH indicates that
> you should call AC_FC_FREEFORM or AC_FC_FIXEDFORM before you call
> AC_FC_LINE_LENGTH. You do not do that. This is not mentioned in
> the autoconf manual I'm looking at. I don't know if the source
> code comment or the manual is correct (it's been 20 years since I
> last used fortran...)

Hi Peter,
thanks for the hint, unfortunately it makes no difference.

Looking at the upstream code I notice
that AC_FC_LINE_LENGTH is the only FC call
while all the rest is F77 based

$ grep _FC configure.ac
   AC_FC_LINE_LENGTH(unlimited)

$ grep _F77 configure.ac
AC_PROG_F77
AC_F77_FUNC(sgemm$SYMBOLSUFFIX, sgemmsuff)
AC_F77_FUNC(snaupd$SYMBOLSUFFIX, snaupdsuff)
AC_F77_FUNC(sneupd$SYMBOLSUFFIX, sneupdsuff)
AC_F77_FUNC(dnaupd$SYMBOLSUFFIX, dnaupdsuff)
AC_F77_FUNC(dneupd$SYMBOLSUFFIX, dneupdsuff)
AC_F77_FUNC(cheev$SYMBOLSUFFIX, cheevsuff)

and this is fishy.
I need to check it

> However, I suspect the issue is that libtool might eat or be
> otherwise confused by the flag selected to get fortran support
> for long lines. What is FCFLAGS when you have the macro present?
>
> Out on a limb here...
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
>
> PS. some logs would be handy...

which one ? Autoconf and configure are a bit verbose

Regards
Marco