git 2.8.3 spurious output

Cufi, Carles Carles.Cufi@nordicsemi.no
Thu Jun 9 07:52:00 GMT 2016

Hi there,

> On Jun 8, 2016, at 8:19 AM, Cufi, Carles wrote:
> >
> > So what's the better way of fixing this? Making /mingw/bin/gettext.sh
> have UNIX line endings or replacing it with the proper Cygwin gettext.sh
> that I seem to be missing?
>
> Donât try to mix the Cygwin and MinGW build systems.  Having MinGW in
> the PATH while developing under Cygwin is one way to make such mistakes,
> since anything not found under Cygwin falls back to MinGW.
>
> Instead, treat MinGW as a special mode separate from normal Cygwin
> operation.  MSYS is one way, but I prefer to use Cygwin most of the
> time, then run a âmingwâ script I wrote to temporarily shift my Cygwin
> environment to MinGW mode:
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>     PATH=/cygdrive/c/mingw/bin:/cygdrive/c/windows:\
>     /cygdrive /c/windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin
>     echo "Say 'exit' to leave MinGW shell and restore Cygwin
> environment."
>     /bin/bash --rcfile ~/.mingwrc
>
> You also need that ~/.mingwrc file:
>
>     alias make=mingw32-make
>     PS1='MinGW: \W \$ â

This sounds like a very good idea, but the problem is that sometimes I need to run mingw commands from standard Windows Command Prompts. That then forces me to have the MinGW bin folders in Window's PATH, which caused all the trouble in the first place apparently.
Someone else has mentioned that having the MinGW binaries in the system PATH is not a good idea, so I might simply get rid of that.

But I will save this script and try it out for when I want bash + mingw, thanks!

> Thereâs a way to avoid splitting the code between two files, but it
> would require a slightly more complicated command, so I wonât tell you
> how.  (If you figure it out, youâll probably agree that itâs worth
> splitting the code like this.)
>
> The result is that your PATH temporarily shadows the Cygwin build tools
> with MinGW ones, excepting for make(1) which is named differently under
> MinGW, so we have to use an alias instead.
>
> Because this creates a subshell, you can just âexitâ to get back out of
> MinGW mode into Cygwin mode, having never left the directory you were in
> when you entered MinGW mode.

This is a really neat trick to be able to run MinGW from within Cygwin and without having to resort to MSYS.
I don't mind having 2 files really, so I don't think I'll try to figure out how to merge them.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Carles