man incredibly slow because it scans for share directory in PATH??

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Mon Jun 13 19:38:00 GMT 2016

Achim Gratz wrote:
> Riedel,Till (TM) writes:
>> IMHO at least in Windows/Cygwin creating MANPATH from PATH makes no
>> sense! (although I now get the idea what was the rationell!)
>> Reasonably setting MANPATH should IMHO be a default...
>
> MANPATH is unset in a standard Cygwin installation since quite some time
> and it wasn't constructed from PATH before that change.
----
I.e. in a console window, if you type:

  > echo $MANPATH

What do you see?  On my system, I see a rather short version that
isn't exactly right as it has non-existing directories in it:

  /usr/local/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/man::/usr/openwin/man

But since they are at the end, it doesn't much seem to matter.  On
a linux distro, All of the directories in MAN seem to exist and have
man pages in them:

  /home/lindaw/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/share/man:\
  /usr/share/man:/opt/kde3/share/man:/usr/man:/opt/dx/man:\
  /opt/mpich/man

(backslashes inserted by me for readability).

According to the cywin manpage for man, man has a config file
that tells it where to search in "/etc/man_db.conf".