Question about tar v1.28

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 23:52:00 GMT 2016

On 03/08/2016 08:43 AM, Douglas Coup wrote:
> Hello Cygwin community.
>
> I'm observing some unusual behavior with tar v1.28, running as part of
> 32-bit Cygwin on a Windows 10 machine.

I noticed this in your cygcheck output:

> cygdrive prefix /cygdrive system text,noacl,posix=0,auto

Why are you text-mounting it?  Is your current working directory
somewhere under that text mount?  It may be a bug in tar's handling of
text-mounted files (ideally, tar should be reopening everything binary
in spite of text mounts, but I may have missed a spot).

> A similar sequence on a Windows 8.1 machine running tar v1.27.1 does not
> produce this problem.

Could be an accidental regression in my cygwin-specific patches between
the two versions. But I don't normally use or test on text-mounts, so
I'll need confirmation that you are indeed experiencing the problem only
in your text mount, before I spend cycles debugging it.