ctrl-c doesn't reliably kill ping

Warren Young wyml@etr-usa.com
Tue Mar 15 15:13:00 GMT 2016

On Mar 14, 2016, at 6:45 PM, Frank Farance <frank@farance.com> wrote:

> I have been having this problem with "ping".  If I "ping" a location that doesn't exist, then "ping" just hangs and cannot be killed via "kill -KILL [pid]”.

Are you certain that you’re using the Cygwin ping, and not the native Windows ping?

Cygwin ping requires admin privileges, so you’d definitely know if you were using it.  In a non-Admin shell, you see:

  $ ping gw
  ping: socket: Operation not permitted

You can’t expect native Windows executables to respond in a POSIXy way to POSIX signals.

(As for “why” Cygwin ping requires admin privileges and native ping does not, it’s because native ping uses a special DLL that avoids the need for raw sockets.  Cygwin ping requires raw sockets in order to do things in a POSXYy way.)

> if I type the URL http://something.that.doesnt.exist in my browser, rather than getting a Hostname Not Found error (at the name resolution level), it actually loads up a page saying "something.that.doesnt.exist" isn't found and then I have a Yahoo set of search results on things matching the broken hostname.

Use GRC’s DNS benchmark to find a DNS server that is not only fast but also standards-compliant:

  https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

If you can’t be bothered, use Google’s DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.