can't get sshd to new Windows 2012 R2 Server to work

Warren Young wyml@etr-usa.com
Wed Mar 16 17:54:00 GMT 2016

On Mar 15, 2016, at 4:35 PM, Kevin Layer <layer@franz.com> wrote:

> Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics

Next time, please *attach* this, don’t paste it inline.

(That’s not my idiosyncratic preference, it’s part of the instructions: https://cygwin.com/problems.html)

> Running in Terminal Service session

You say you disabled the firewall on the machine you’re working with, but have you disabled the firewall on the TS host, too?

Truncated SSH sessions feel like some sort of security thingy to me.

> Output from C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe
> UID: 1049579(layer)                     GID: 1049089(Domain Users)
> 1049089(Domain Users)                   559(Performance Log Users)
> 545(Users)                              14(REMOTE INTERACTIVE LOGON)
> 4(INTERACTIVE)                          11(Authenticated Users)
> 15(This Organization)                   4095(CurrentSession)
> 66048(LOCAL)                            1054502(domcon2 $ Acronis Remote Users)
> 1055482(CERTSVC_DCOM_ACCESS)            401408(Medium Mandatory Level)

I don’t see 544 in there, so this must not be an admin shell.  I believe you need to run ssh-host-config as admin for it to do its work correctly.  Without those privileges, it can’t set sshd up to run as admin but drop privileges to the logged-in user when accepting connections.