2.4-2.5 x64: bash crashes on backticks, gdb crashes on opening core dump

Ivan Pozdeev vano@mail.mipt.ru
Mon Mar 21 00:21:00 GMT 2016

20.03.2016 15:47, Marco Atzeri пишет:
> On 20/03/2016 10:05, Ivan Pozdeev wrote:
>> bash
>> ----
>> I'm being plagued by these crashes for about half a month now.
>> Specifically, it cannot run any `configure' script.
>> The crashes appear to happen in child bash/sh processes launched while
>> processing backticks. Other times, commands with stream redirection fail
>> silently or produce nothing. Simple commands or very short scripts do
>> not fail.
>
> Any BLODA around ?
None that I managed to find (checked with AVZ for interceptors, autoruns
from a boot disk for suspicious entries, procmon for 3rd-party drivers
in call chain).
There might be something from hardware drivers, but none were installed
two weeks ago.

>> On trying to open `sh.exe.core', gdb 1.10 crashes, too; gdb 1.9 says
>> "get_core_register_section: Assertion `core_vec' failed" (see
>> attachment). So I'm unable to diagnose bash's problem right now.
>>
>> At another machine with the same packages, bash does not fail, but gdb's
>> problem stands. Already tried reinstalling all the packages `bash'
>> depends on and itself to no effect.
>>
>> gdb
>> ---
>> I managed to debug the gdb session with VisualGDB (trial).
>> It turns out, the root cause is that the /bin/sh executable is x64, but
>> the core file `sh.exe.core' - of the same executable - has i386 format!
>> (objdump: <...>sh.exe.core:     file format elf32-i386)
>
> Are you sure about the 64 bit dumper ?
> https://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dumper.html
There's only one copy on my system and it's a 64-bit exe:
$ which dumper
/usr/bin/dumper
$ cygcheck -f `which dumper`
cygwin-2.4.1-1
$ objdump -h `which dumper` | head
/usr/bin/dumper:     file format pei-x86-64
<...>
Already tried reinstalling the package as well as trying other versions
available (2.3.1 and 2.5.0).
specifying full windows-style path to the exe as `man dumper' says
doesn't change anything.

> --

Regards,
Ivan