add fish to /etc/shells (base-files)

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Wed May 11 19:06:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-05-11 12:09, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> Am 10.05.2016 um 20:19 schrieb Andrew Schulman:
>>> Achim, can you please add /bin/fish and /usr/bin/fish to /etc/shells in
>>> base-files?
>>
>> I seem to remember that this was discussed before.  If you could perhaps
>> look up that discussion and fill me in what the conclusion was last time
>> around?
>
> Hm, you're right, it was discussed before:
>
> https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-02/msg00696.html
>
> I don't know if there was consensus, but the last word there from CGF was
> that shell packages should run a postinstall step to add themselves to
> /etc/shells.

While I'm always ready to reconsider previous decisions, this is how it
appears to be handled in Linux distros.  The implication thereof is that
(once all packages have been adapted) the default /etc/shells should
only contain those shells available by default (namely, sh, bash, and
/sbin/nologin), e.g.:

https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/setup.git/tree/shells

(except that /sbin != /usr/sbin on Cygwin.)

> That seems reasonable. There are questions about the right way to do it,
> but I'll ask those in a separate thread.

Probably best if we have a cygport function for creating the necessary
postinstall and preremove commands.

--
Yaakov