system lags and dysfunctional after cygwin update

Ben Altman benalt@gmail.com
Thu May 12 15:20:00 GMT 2016

On 5/12/2016 10:44 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 12/05/2016 16:35, Ben Altman wrote:
>
>  Another thing that happens is that
>> Internet Explorer stops working - it loads unresponsive and then
>> crashes. Chrome loads but won't reach any website. Firefox works but
>> will become unresponsive frequently. Rebooting fixes the issue until I
>> do something in one of my scripts that triggers it again.
>
> These can not be an effect of cygwin.
> Something else cripped your system.

That is the puzzling thing. It only happens when I am running cygwin or
babun and I can trigger it anytime just by doing ordinary scripting
things. I can easily reproduce the situation though I obviously try to
avoid that. The report script used to run twice daily during the day but
because it now runs for up to 3 hours and causes the situation at the
point where the joins are done I now run it at night so I can reboot my
system first thing in the morning. If I run it during the day I would
have to work with a slow system even after it completed so would need to
reboot. I now have it set to run at night so I can reboot first thing in
the morning.

Before getting up to the joins, I grab data off an ldap server and use
sqlcmd to get data from a sql server. I am getting data for 14 databases
and I do it concurrently and it appears to work fine. When it reaches
the joins, suddenly everything slows and becomes unstable. Another
script I have which I use to search flat files also runs in to a similar
situation though it doesn't use "join" and I haven't worked out which
line triggers it.

Ben