Possible issue with newest version of git (v 2.8) under Cygwin

andrew stern astern.fix8.forum@gmail.com
Mon May 16 13:03:00 GMT 2016

>>> If I leave off the noacl and do a clone followed by a push and pull
>>> we
>> Yes, I've seen that before; it's a problem with the underlying
>> cygwind1.dll rather than a problem with Git.  I believe the consensus
>> from people on this list who know more about Windows permissions than
>> me is that the warning is actually benign and can be ignored.

>As I read the Cygwin documentation, the problem is that windows permissions and POSIX permissions don't line up very well. In order to faithfully reproduce POSIX permissions, Cygwin uses legal but non-standard ordering of ACEs.
> Windows' security tab thinks this is a problem, but it really isn't. To quote from the documentation here:
>https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-files:

>    Unfortunately the security tab in the file properties dialog of the
>    Windows Explorer insists to rearrange the order of the ACEs to
>    canonical order before you can read them. Thank God, the sort order
>    remains unchanged if one presses the Cancel button. But don't even
>    *think* of pressing OK...

> So it would seem the problem as such lies with Windows' security tab.

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that even without looking at
the permissions tab we ended up with the inability for anyone else in
the group to write or update the head for the repository.  This is a
much bigger issue then just a display issue in Windows.  It is causing
read write permission issues where members can't push changes from
their local trees after another team member pushes their changes.  It
seems to mess it up in such a way that a system admin must reset
permissions after each push so that another team member can push their
changes.  This just started happening after updating cygwin in the
last few weeks and is related to changes to the ACL that were done in
the last couple of months.