Proposed patch for web site: update most links to HTTPS

Brian Clifton brian@clifton.me
Sun May 22 00:30:00 GMT 2016

>On Apr 24 17:18, Brian Clifton wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have a proposed change for the web site. This patch (see below) will update most of the urls to HTTPS. In many cases there was a redirect; for those I captured the new canonical address.
>>
>> (Per the https://cygwin.com/contrib.html, this is *not* a change to
>> anything in the winsup directory, which is why I chose the
>> cygwin@cygwin distro)
>>
>> The patch can be found here:
>> https://patch.clifton.io/cygwin/cygwin-htdocs_bsclifton_https_20160424
>> .patch
>
>Thanks for the patch, but, here's a question:
>
>Since Cygwin.com redirects http requests to https anyway, all links to cygwin.com (or, FWIW, sourceware.org) will end up as https requests anyway.
>
>Having said that, wouldn't it make sense then to avoid absolute links to cygwin.com and rather convert them to relative links, i.e.:
>
  >-<a href="http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg02182.html">Inspired</a> by
  >+<a href="/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg02182.html">Inspired</a> by
>
>?
>

>Thanks,
>Corinna

Good points Corinna; I updated the patch to use relative URLs (attached). If the attachment does not work for some reason, it can also be downloaded from here:
https://patch.clifton.io/cygwin/cygwin-htdocs_bsclifton_https_20160521.patch

Thanks
Brian