lint kills _Noreturn

Hans-Bernhard Bröker HBBroeker@t-online.de
Mon May 30 21:57:00 GMT 2016

Am 30.05.2016 um 10:44 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:

> Our cdefs.h is taken almost verbatim from FreeBSD, and FreeBSD's
> cdefs.h uses the exact same expressions chcking for lint.

That means almost nothing.  The BSD guy might have a good,
platform-specific reason to assign a specific meaning to the macro
"lint" that's buried in their history, and doesn't even apply to Cygwin.
  And of course like everybody else, they could simply have got it wrong.

 > Don't set lint.

It's not that simple.

On the one hand the global name "lint" is clearly in the user's name
space.  If an implementation wants to use a macro that means something
special, and which user code is not supposed to meddle with, that's what
the language has reserved name space patterns for (it should then be
__lint or __LINT).

OTOH the original lint, although it's a tool that's used to check for
violations of such rules among others, unfortunately used to violate
those same rules by predefining a global macro "lint", and existing code
still relies on that property to hide non-standard constructs like that
_Noreturn from lint.

Disappointingly the more modern implementations of lint still get this
wrong, or at least not quite right, in different ways:  splint documents
"S_SPLINT_S", which at least looks like a macro, but is still in user
namespace.  Gimpel's ones have "_lint", which is better than "lint", but
should really be "__lint".