Command switches to remove categories of packages from an existing Cygwin installation

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 13:42:00 GMT 2016

On 01/11/2016 13:04, Keith Christian wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Keith Christian wrote:
>> While I use a few X11 packages, I find that I don't need the KDE or
>> GNOME categories.
>>
>> Are the command line switches to remove KDE and GNOME the following?
>>
>>   setup-x86.exe -c GNOME -c KDE

Sadly, it seems that the repeated option is not handled correctly by
setup at the moment, so you will need to use the syntax

setup-x86.exe -c GNOME,KDE

>> Is there a setup-x86.exe switch to avoid downloading and installing
>> GNOME and KDE categories so that a separate remove command is not
>> necessary?
>>
>> I'd rather put this (e.g. setup-x86.exe -c GNOME -c KDE) in a batch
>> file to avoid clicking around in the Cygwin Setup GUI to avoid
>> installing or re-installing GNOME and KDE categories.

It's a bit unclear why you would need to do this more than once.  If
these packages keep getting reinstalled because of dependencies, then
perhaps you really do need them.