XWin server, idle, using lots of CPU time

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Thu Nov 10 19:58:00 GMT 2016

On 10/11/2016 02:05, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> I received a new laptop at work (Windows 7 Pro) and installed Cygwin
> from scratch, including the Xorg server and xdg.
>
> Unlike my old laptop, XWIN seems to be using about 10% CPU *all the
> time* (measured with Task Manager), even when there are no clients
> connected to it.  My ~/ home directory is the same, so the X server is
> being set up the same way as before, as far as I can tell.
>
> The processor is an I7-6600U with two cores, two threads/core.  10%
> seems rather high, given that 25% would be one fully-utilitized
> thread.  I even updated the Intel video driver to the latest Dell
> version, dated November 1, 2016.  No change in behavior.
>
> I've attached cygcheck.out and my X server log, but can anyone advise
> how to track down the source of the problem? There does seem to be a
> large number of winClipboardFlushXEvents failures in the Xwin log
> file, but those are also in the log file on the old laptop.
Thanks for reporting this problem.

Yes, this doesn't seem right, or expected.

Possibly the problem is caused by the internal WM or clipboard threads,
so you might try with -noclipboard or in windowed mode, and see if you
see the same load.

If that's the case, maybe running with -logverbose 3 would generate a
log which gives more information about what unnecessary work is being done.