Cygwin Setup - Choose Best Mirror Automatically for Automated / Silent Installs

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Sat Nov 19 00:15:00 GMT 2016

OwN-3m-All writes:
> That's really not a good solution.  I don't have control over the
> mirrors or would know why one isn't working.

The only way to thoroughly solve that problem is to provide your own
mirror (which by definition you have control over).

> I think a new command-line argument should be added that makes Cygwin
> setup pick one of the mirrors it knows is good from the list it
> downloads.

That really doesn't work without quite a bit of server-side
infrastructure that currently simply isn't in place.  Personally I'd
prefer MirrorBrain, but SHTDI and all that.

> A command-line argument is the way to go, but a text file with a list
> of known good mirrors that could be downloaded and parsed by a script
> would also be of great help.  Cygwin already checks the status of its
> mirros as far as I know.

If you think you know which mirror is currently working (best) for you,
that file can easily be downloaded.

Regards,
Achim.