Setup problem: no /home/<user>

Sat Oct 1 22:13:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-10-01 12:48, Matthijs Nescio wrote:
> I have the strangest problem. I have been trying to re-install Cygwin a few times, each time with the same result. I have downloaded the latest greatest setup-x86_64.exe.
> Symptoms list:
> * There is a C:\cygwin64\home folder, but it is empty.
> * It takes long for a terminal to come up.; pwd responds /usr/bin
> * Upon ls , the terminal responds with -bash: ls: command not found
> I found https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-05/msg00109.html reporting similar trouble.
> I am using Windows 7. During the setup, the install has hung after it was finished, running some postinstall script for quite some time.
> A simple ls of /usr/bin takes 30 seconds. date '+%s' takes about as long. So this install is unusable. https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-05/msg00109.html mentions to check for scripts with a .done extension; there is none, see the list below.
> One of the links suggests to run cygcheck -csv; the results are copied below. It sais my PC has multiple cygwin1.dll files.
> -bash-4.3$ find /cygdrive/c/cygwin64 -name "cygwin1.dll"
> /cygdrive/c/cygwin64/bin/cygwin1.dll
> /cygdrive/c/cygwin64/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/sys-root/usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
> ./cygwin1.dll
> /cygdrive/c/cygwin64/bin/cygwin1.dll
> /cygdrive/c/cygwin64/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/sys-root/usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
> -bash-4.3$
> Since the set-up is new, I want to delete it and set it up again properly. I want it to work.
> Who can help?

Delete your Cygwin64 root directory and start again, a bit more incrementally, not all big bang!
Install only base cygwin packages to start, and check mintty, bash, and coreutils work okay.
Then install only base X Window packages, and check your local X server and standard clients work okay.
Then install additional optional packages, and check those work okay.
Always agree when asked to install additional package dependencies.
Postinstall steps may take a while, especially initially, and every rebase - please be patient.