Extreme Slowness of cygwin commands [SOLVED?]

Thu Sep 1 18:59:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-09-01 12:18, bzs@TheWorld.com wrote:
> On September 1, 2016 at 13:52 ErikSoderquist@gmail.com (Erik Soderquist) wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM,  wrote:
>>> I've no idea what it does except in the most general terms but one of
>>> my banks won't let me log in unless it's running so this has been
>>> quite a nuisance as I have to stop it w/ their management interface
>>> and then use task manager to kill their management interface which is
>>> what seems to be the problem, etc., each time I need a bank balance.
>>> And sometimes that stop or restart doesn't go right -- IE almost
>>> always crashes* when it's restarted, etc. Doesn't sound like much but
>>> 20 minutes of your life going down the tubes on something that should
>>> take 2 minutes (check a balance) gets old, fast.
>>> * Some of my vendors only work right on IE, otherwise never use it so
>>> everyone please save the advice :-)
>> For me that would be a case of notifying them of said problems and
>> that due to said problems (I include not being able to log in from my
>> tails live CD boot a problem) I will be finding a new vendor, and then
>> do so and close my accounts with the vendor with failing software.  I
>> have had some of these vendors come back to me later with "We've fixed
>> X, please come back".
> All fine advice.
> I have spoken to the bank involved numerous times but never got past a
> very chipper, helpful person who is ready to show me how to start/stop
> the software, listens to my problem (slowness) politely and then goes
> back into their technical support dance. And is so many paygrades
> below taking a general complaint it just sounds like I'm out to foul
> their air. Frankly they probably suspect I don't know what I'm talking
> about (probably not their software, what is "cygwin"? we can't be
> responsible for your third-party apps speak to them if that's what
> you're having problems with, etc.)
> Also, the accts affected so far are business accts with various other
> relationships so it's not quite as easy as walking down the block and
> opening another acct w/ another bank tho it's not impossible and I am
> looking into it, just spoke w/ another bank about taking it all over.
> But, if one can, I do recommend if your bank starts requiring this
> Rapport software change banks.
> Maybe some day they'll fix it but until then it's just a headache.
> And other than "IBM sold it to them" one never gets a straight answer
> on why they even require this software. Again, that decision is too
> many paygrades up for them to speculate about beyond "it improves
> security".

If you have a security issue, ask to speak to their security group:
banks, telcos, utilities, they all have folks who can address and
escalate these issues, with your documentation of interaction with
the vendor, and maybe get a fixed release for you, giventhe business
and performance impact, and the other bank being considered ;^>

Technical reviews of the package concur that it is just another
malware blocker, but more intrusive than some others: check the
BLODA list for the other intrusive packages, a number of which
I have used and deinstalled because of (not just Cygwin) failures
and severe performance impacts in general.

P.S. Trusteer Rapport Cerberus is not yet on the BLODA list [hint]

[FAQ 4.45 What applications have been found to interfere with Cygwin?
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda]