Problem with Python programs with binary components, who to blame?

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sun Sep 4 19:43:00 GMT 2016

On 9/4/2016 10:43 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 04/09/2016 16:34, Patrick Pief wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Before writing any formal bug report I thought I might ask first whether the
>> problem I am seeing is something that can be even fixed from Cygwin's side.
>>
>> The issue has to do with the compilation of Python binary packages for Python
>> inside Cygwin (Python installed as a Cygwin package as opposed to Python for
>> Windows).
>> The problem starts to show as gcc warnings: "[…] redeclared without dllimport
>> attribute: previous dllimport ignored", and ends with linkers errors such as:
>> "relocation truncated to fit [...] against undefined symbol".
>>
>> I am guessing the problem might actually lie within the Python sources itself
>> but I am not entirely sure.
>>
>> So is this some issue that is even worth further research and filing a bug
>> report here?
>

> On windows all symbols must be available at linking time.
> Cygwin programs/libraries have the same constrain.
>
> Can you report the full command that produce :
> ""relocation truncated to fit [...] against undefined symbol"." ?
>
> Are you building a specific program or it is your own development ?

I also wonder about:

- 32-bit versus 64-bit Cygwin, whether it may be an issue
- Such a build would need to be treated as a Posix build,
   not a Windows build, and probably should not be trying to
   access Windows libraries (as opposed to Cygwin libraries)

dllimport is meaningful for Windows, not for Posix, I believe.
So I wonder if you're actually running Cygwin's gcc ...

Anyway, some things to check into ...

Eliot Moss