Can you modify how Cygwin prepends domain name to username?

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Fri Sep 9 04:28:00 GMT 2016

Carl wrote:
> Hi Linda,
>
> The plus character is the default separator for mkpasswd.
>
> In the help for it (mkpasswd -h), you will see
>
>    -S,--separator char     For -L use character char as domain\user
>                            separator in username instead of the default '+'.
---
??? Really?
But how is that compatible with Win's USERNAME?  ...
I even use Domain\User on my linux domain server!  So that would
conflict, by default.  When I login to linux from win, it logs in
as Domain\User.  Not entirely right for a PDC but at least somewhat
consistent.  Domain+User would be entirely broken.

Yes -- I have added '\' to my allowed userID set on linux
in /etc/login.defs.