mintty shows some text in other than foreground color

Fri Sep 16 13:21:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-09-15 14:47, David Karr wrote:
> When I run mintty, the background is white, and normal text is black.
> This is fine.  However, there are some applications that are
> displaying text in other colors, many of which are fine, but some apps
> display some text in yellow, which on a white background is almost
> unreadable.
>
> For instance, the display from Cassandra's "cqlsh" shows the results
> of queries in black, purple (probably not quite right), and yellow.
> The worst part is, it's using yellow for the column values.
>
> Is there any way to control this, in general (obviously, not just for
> cqlsh output)?

See
http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html#h2-Operating-System-Controls

Normal ANSI escapes start with CSI 0x9b or \e[, these start with OSC 0x9d or \e],
and end with ST 0x9c or \e\\, or BEL ctrl-G, 0x07 or \a.

See Ps = 4 ; c ; spec → Change colour c to colour spec, a standard xterm RGB
colour word or hex code; the ; c ; spec sequences may be repeated as many times
as required before the ST, e.g. for up to 256 colours.
See also Ps = 10 default foreground colour and 11 default background colour
if you need to temporarily invert the default background and foreground colours,
e.g to display curl wttr.in[/CityName] in a normally white window background:

#!/bin/bash
# wttr.sh - ANSI colour text weather forecast for IP address or city
echo -ne '\e]10;white\e\\'
echo -ne '\e]11;black\e\\'
curl wttr.in
sleep 5
echo -ne '\e]10;black\e\\'
echo -ne '\e]11;white\e\\'

as the colours just don't work without the black background.
N.B. The OSC sequences do not appear to be supported by man or less.