setup.exe : proxy auto-configuration script without IE ?

Tue Sep 27 02:17:00 GMT 2016

On 2016-09-26 13:35, Jérôme Bouat wrote:
> I'm using cygwin on a thin desktop computer which has limited disk
> storage.
> The network configuration of setup.exe relies on the proxy
> auto-configuration script of IE.

To see your proxy config, try running:

$ wget -q -O - `ipconfig | \
sed '/^\s\+Connection-specific DNS Suffix[. ]\+:\s/!d;
s///;/^\s*$/d;s ^ http://wpad. ;s $ /wpad.dat ' | sort -u`

My ISP returns:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
                 return("DIRECT");
}

Yours may point to a proxy server.

You may bypass this in Setup dialogue "Select Your Internet Connection"
by selecting "Direct Connection", unless you are blocked from directly
connecting to the internet from your system.

> However, when a package is downloaded, it seems it is stored twice :
> one time into the IE disk cache and one other time into the cygwin
> packages disk cache.

Setup does not use IE for downloading or INetCache for its packages.
I never use IE and have seen no sign of IE cache files appearing after
downloads using Setup or any other products.

Perhaps you have an (old/poor) Anti-Virus product which downloads files
into the IE cache for scanning or unzipping, rather than unzipping and
checking the download as it comes down the wire?
See https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA and the link in that entry to
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

> Is there a way to make setup.exe understand the auto-configuration
> script without any web browser ?

In Setup dialogue "Select Your Internet Connection" you can select
"Use Internet Explorer Proxy Settings", if you can not use a direct
connection.