long I/O delays when strace is running

Daniel Santos daniel.santos@pobox.com
Sun Apr 23 12:58:00 GMT 2017

On 04/21/2017 05:12 PM, Mark Geisert wrote:

> Re debugging strace itself, you may not realize that strace is not a
> Cygwin-native program.  It's a Windows-native program.  So debugging
> it with Cygwin gdb is problematic.
>
> I can tell you roughly how strace operates.  It launches the target
> program with CreateProcess(), not with exec().  It acts as the
> debugger of the target in order to receive Windows DEBUG_EVENTs for
> things like DLL loads, thread creation, etc. etc.  The Cygwin DLL in
> the target can tell when it's being run under strace and generates
> trace lines with OutputDebugString() calls that strace receives as
> DEBUG_EVENTs.  strace then just outputs the trace line.
>
> strace does have to explicitly ContinueDebugEvent() on each
> DEBUG_EVENT it receives, and if there's some issue with that then the
> target program will remain suspended awaiting that continue. I've
> never seen an issue with this but it's another possible place to look,
> I suppose.
>
> Why strace appears to interact badly with /proc accesses, I have no idea.
>
> ..mark

Well thank you, I wish I had read this earlier. I've been trying to
debug (with gdb) strace (following children) and now I know why the
debugger is blowing through breakpoints, because I may be debugging
strace, but strace debugging it's own child.  I added a _pinfo::dump ()
member function that I'm calling from pinfo::init () after the test "if
(!created && !(flag & PID_NEW))" and it's crashing because for some
processes, the entire _pinfo struct isn't mapped in, just the first
page.  Of course, I'm a newbie in this sphere, so maybe I've missed
something and there's sometimes a reason for this?  (The first part of
the struct looks normal.) Otherwise, that would be another odd flaw.

Anyway, I can see that the strace process's shared _pinfo object is
never fully populated:

_pinfo 0x30000 {
   pid 2800,
   process_state 0x00000001,
   ppid 0,
   exitcode 0
   cygstarted 0,
   dwProcessId 0x00000AF0,
   progname "D:\cygwin64\bin\strace.exe",
   uid 0,
   gid 0,
   pgid 0,
   sid 0,
   ctty 0,
   has_pgid_children 0
   start_time 1492881370,
   nice 0,
   stopsig 0,
   sendsig 0x0,
   exec_sendsig 0x0,
   exec_dwProcessId 0
}

So I would venture to say that is a problem.  Also, pinfo::init() should
probably issure some error message if it waits 2-ish seconds and the
struct still isn't correctly populated.

Is there a way to debug the children of strace?  It would make it a lot
easier.  That's part of why I wrote the _pinfo::debug(), but also when I
debug strace with gdb, the _pinfo struct IS properly populated.  The
best problems are the ones that disappear when you try to debug them.

Thanks,
Daniel