Console buffer width always 1 column less than setting

Steven Penny svnpenn@gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 07:34:00 GMT 2017

On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 14:12:04, Vince Rice wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Feb 2017 11:53:16, Steven Penny wrote:
>> This issue has bothered me for some time, but I never got around to reporting
>> it. The issue is that the Cygwin buffer via Cygwin.bat is always 1 less than
>> what is set.

>> For example, the default buffer is 80 columns, same as the window size.
>> Cygwin window size is correct, but that last column can never be accessed, it
>> always stays blank and the text wraps on column 79. Here is a test:

>> 1. Enter spaces until you reach next line, this way the prompt is not adding
>> to our count

>> 2. Enter:
>> 12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

>> Now with cmd.exe, you get all 80 characters on the same line, but with Cygwin
>> it always wraps 1 character before. I don’t remember this always being the
>> case, I believe it used to work correct 1-2 years ago.

> I'm on Win7 64-bit with 64-bit Cygwin 2.6.0(0.304/5/3). To clarify, the above
> occurs with bash 4.3.46(7) in a Windows console, and I see the behavior there
> as well. This does not happen with the same bash in mintty 2.7, so it appears
> to be specific to the combination of bash and the Windows console.

I found a fix to this problem. Create a file "cygwin-xenl.terminfo":

    cygwin-xenl|cygwin eat_newline_glitch,
      xenl,
      use=cygwin,

Compile and install the file:

    tic cygwin-xenl.terminfo

Add line to "~/.profile" or similar:

    TERM=cygwin-xenl

Interestingly, if you start via the shortcut (mintty), a different terminal is
used; one that already has xenl turned on:

    $ echo $TERM
    xterm

    $ infocmp xterm | grep xenl
    am, bce, km, mc5i, mir, msgr, npc, xenl,

Running Cygwin.bat with xterm is not a solution though, because xterm uses
different values for the key codes.

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/terminfo.5.html