alias appears to not work inside a called bash script

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Fri Aug 25 02:23:00 GMT 2017

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> There is an issue there (though not for the Cygwin project).
>
> I don't see where  ...
> "expanding aliases in interactive mode, but ignoring them in
> non-interactive
> operation" [is required by POSIX].
>
> POSIX seems to unequivocally be calling for Alias Expansion to occur
> under all conditions.
Could you list the http reference for that?

> And, indeed, this is not a bug in Bash; they know that this is
> a POSIX deviation. Because, voila, aliases *are* expanded in
> script mode if we do one of two things:
>
>    #!/bin/bash --posix
>
>    #!/bin/sh
----
    Only in cygwin (4.4.12).

    In my linux version of bash, expand_aliases is not turned on
in POSIX mode.  Created scripts:

#!/bin/sh
shopt -s |grep expand

and

#!/bin/bash --posix
shopt -s |grep expand

On cygwin they show:
expand_aliases on

Not so on linux (same version of bash 4.4.12)

Hmmm...
Is there a definitive reference for this feature?

Thanks!
-l