Presence of cygwin64 elements in an existing Cygwin 32 install after updating

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 10:40:00 GMT 2017

On 29/08/2017 23:03, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 8/29/2017 4:57 PM, Keith Christian wrote:
>> More program failures.  Have rebooted and allowed system to preform
>> rebase:
>>

>> $ man httping
>>        0 [main] man 7688 child_info_fork::abort:
>> C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x360000)
>> != child(0x3E0000)
>> man: fork failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
>>
>> Why are all of these programs failing in this way?
>
> Sometimes I have needed to rebase all programs.  To do this,
> do the command: rebase-trigger full
> If you're not able to run bash to run this, you can run dash
> from Windows CMD and give an explicit path, e.g.,
>
> /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/rebase-trigger full
>
> would do the right thin on my installation.  But even that won't
> help if you're running 32-bit and have installed too many packages.
> There is only so much room in the address space for the various
> possible DLLs that might be loaded.

Keith,
in addition to Elliot's comment, you can use

   rebase -si

output to  provide an overview of how many dll's are present
and in which address they are mapped.

   $ rebase -si |sort -r --key=5 | head

will provide the list of the one absorbing more address space.
Except the octave-tisean patological case, that I recommend to not
install if you don't really need it, usually LLVM and ICU
several DLL's are the largest:

  $ rebase -si |sort -r --key=5 | head |awk '{print $5,$1}'
0x020b3000 /usr/bin/cygLLVM-4.0.dll
0x01f75000 /usr/bin/cygQt5WebKit-5.dll
0x01def000 /usr/bin/cygLLVM-3.9.dll
0x01af3000 /usr/bin/cygLLVM-3.8.dll