Need help with multibyte UTF-8 characters

Thomas Taylor tayloth@gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 01:24:00 GMT 2017

I want to use multibyte UTF-8 characters in 64-bit Cygwin under Windows
7.  The "vim" editor running in mintty displays the two-byte characters
correctly, but not the three- (and I assume four-) byte characters,
which instead display as rectangular filled-in blocks.  The "less"
program doesn't even display two-byte characters correctly, but instead
displays them as <A1> to <FF>, depending on the character in question,
in reverse color in the terminal window.  The "cat" program is even
worse, replacing every two-byte character with a character that looks
like three horizontal bars stacked one above the other.  I've read the
"Internationalization" page in the Cygwin online manual, but am still
baffled.  My LANG environment variable is set to "en_US.UTF-8".  Can
anyone help?