Need help with multibyte UTF-8 characters

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Thu Dec 14 16:21:00 GMT 2017

Am 14.12.2017 um 05:40 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2017-12-13 00:50, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 13.12.2017 um 06:21 schrieb Brian Inglis:
>>> On 2017-12-04 18:23, Thomas Taylor wrote:
>>> Your Windows Regional settings and your mintty/Options/Text/Language and
>>> Character Set should be set to match.
>>> The profile commands below set Cygwin locale to your Windows Regional settings
>>> and charset to UTF-8, or Unix locale to your system locale.
>>> Otherwise your system or mintty is going to be doing conversions on each
>>> character.
>> I am not aware that mintty character display and Windows regional settings would
>> interfere in any way you indicated.
>> Can you elaborate on this please?
> Maybe I'm just too optimistic that software will DTRT to ensure that output is
> faithfully passed thru, or converted for the next layer of software, if it has
> different settings.
> I set all of my locales the same so characters should pass thru transparently
> and I can see output faithfully rendered, given adequate font configurations.
Mintty interfaces to Windows using the Unicode/UTF-16 API, so there is
no dependency on the Windows system locale.
I assume the original poster's problem is a font issue, unless a test
case would demonstrate anything else.
Thomas