Is it OK to mount cygdrive on / ? (usually, but may not be as portable).

L. A. Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Sat Feb 4 22:51:00 GMT 2017

Andrey Repin wrote:
> Accessing drive letters directly from inside Cygwin is often
> considered a grey area.
----
    How is it grey?

> Too much may happen on this border. You have to clearly understand, how Cygwin interact with other system, to avoid issues.

----
I.e. if you think you may have programs that also want to use
/bin /usr, /sbin, /lib /etc, there could be conflicts.

> If you want to access Windows path, recommended route lies through the use of
> cygpath utility to convert native paths to the Cygwin scheme. Et vice versa.

I wouldn't recommend that -- it's too hard to type:

/> ls -d $(cygpath S:\Music\Anime)
ls: cannot access S:MusicAnime: No such file or directory
/> ls -d $(cygpath 'S:\Music\Anime')
/s/Music/Anime/
...(vs.)
/> ls -d /s/Music/Anime
/s/Music/Anime/
-or-
ls -d $(cygpath \\ishtar\Music)
ls: cannot access /ishtarMusic: No such file or directory
/> ls -d $(cygpath '\\ishtar\Music')
//ishtar/Music/
---
Much easier just to type "//hostname/Share".