Is it OK to mount cygdrive on / ?

cyg Simple cygsimple@gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 20:24:00 GMT 2017

On 2/3/2017 4:09 PM, Rustam wrote:
> I've added an extra / mountpoint in /etc/fstab in order to be able to
> access C: without /cygdrive like this:
>
> none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
> none /         cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
>
> It seems to work, I can access the C: drive with just /c.
>
> But normally an "ls /cygdrive" should list the drives, whereas "ls /"
> lists the contents of the Cygwin root. So it seems there are now two
> root mountpoints overlaying each other.
>
> So I was wondering if my approach is if this is technically undefined
> behavior and might conceivably break something or is it OK (less the
> drive listing limitation mentioned above).

I've used the / as /cygdrive since the beginning of /cygdrive.  The
issue you see is the fact that Cygwin doesn't require a physical
directory to mount as Linux and friends do.  If you want to see them
then you simply create a physical empty directory in the Cygwin root
directory.  I do find it interesting that the mount also changes the
output of `ls /proc/cygdrive/` but that is a different issue.

Another method to see which drive letters are available is to simply
type mount at the command prompt.

--
cyg Simple