[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.7.4

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Mon Feb 6 19:16:00 GMT 2017

Achim Gratz writes:
> Thomas Wolff writes:
>> Is this within tmux or after leaving tmux (see comment below)? It
>> would be help to cross-test this; if it's mintty, which version would
>> show the behaviour first? What happens in xterm?
>
> Within tmux or more often screen within tmux.  I'll have to try what
> happens in plain mintty.

OK, it's more… interesting than I first thought.  I can reproduce it
when setting up a screen session inside tmux and I might need to be
connected to the screen session via mosh.  It doesn't consistently
happen even then.  I first thought it had something to do with my
setting TERM to xterm-256color, but it happens with screen-256color as
well.  I've had the issue appear when switching the TERM variable to
xterm-256color and it didn't go away when I've reverted to
screen-256color.  I've meanwhile confirmed I get the same problem when
I'm running under screen-256color all the way from the first shell.

> No, I don't think it's related to that issue and I haven't changed my
> prompt in years.  It's specifically happening only on the last line in
> the terminal window with the first character that should wrap onto the
> next line and not anywhere else and only when scrolling the window
> happens.  If the shell has lost the correct terminal geometry, then it's
> wrong on all lines of the terminal, not just the last in my experience.

I can actually provoke this by simply typing in a too long line: when
the last character in the last line gets entered, the terminal opens a
new line below, scrolling the content up one line (and keeping the
status line of the tmux in place on the _real_ last line).  It then
scrolls up another line, repeats the the first character of the prompt
on the original line and appends any further characters entered after
that character.

Regards,
Achim.