cygpath -w converts relative paths to absolute windows paths

Wed Feb 8 01:00:00 GMT 2017

On 2017-02-07 16:34, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 07.02.2017 um 16:30 schrieb Andrey Repin:
>> Greetings, Roger Qiu!
>>> I've found that `cygpath --windows '../` will give back an
>>> absolute windows path.
>> ".." is a special path, that can't be safely converted.
> How is the special meaning of ".." so much different in Windows than
> in Cygwin/Linux/POSIX that it could not be mapped?
> Things like dir .., cd .., type ..\sub\file all work comparably.

Think the problem is tracking logical directory paths following
symlinks makes it difficult to reconstruct a relative Windows
directory path - I like and use symlinks a lot as command line
accessible shortcuts to directories spread all over the place
- and shells that only track physical directory paths used to
drive me wild, as cd dir followed by cd .. left me off in the
wild.